Let’s face it: New Year’s resolutions rarely work. Maybe a month, six weeks, and they’re forgotten. Completely pointless until you make the same damn ones the next December 31st. And the next. And so on.
So this year I’m making some intentions; things I intend to do instead of resolving to do. Nothing to break, nothing to lose, no feeling bad, no making bearing false witness against your neighbor, no … wait, scratch that last one. That’s something else.
In 2014, I intend to:
- Try walking a lot more than I do. It gets very annoying getting winded from the car to the convenience store.
- Quit drinking any diet soda. That aspartame is friggin’ poison. Haven’t drank any in three days and I feel quite a bit better.
- Drink a lot more water.
- Write a few short stories – maybe enough for an actual collection. I sorta got inspired by my colleague Chris James and his Stories of Genesis book. Even went back and dug out my Genesis albums. I was thinking Blue Oyster Cult would be a great jumping point for mine.
- Write two non-fiction books. I’ve had an obscure old-time radio program book in my head for a few years, and I think I’m going to get that one out this year. And a book on hobos in comic books. Don’t ask.
- Read my usual amount of books. At least 200 different titles, and hopefully more.
- Re-read Swann’s Way. The damn thing’s been on my Kindle for four years now. Time to read it or back to the ether with you, Mr. Proust!
- Blog a little more often. I’m probably going to be reviewing a lot more books on my blog here, along with posting weirdness. Hopefully around three times a week, but don’t hold me to that.
And that’s it so far. Sure, not many, but why make a big ass list of things you may or may not get around to finishing?
Hope you all have a good new year! Take care and be safe!